Nearly ten years in business has taught me a lot of things, but one of the most important things is that we can't possibly please everybody.
There are potential clients that I know I won't be a good fit for. My work isn't "typical", it's not the magazine-styled photos some brides and grooms want. My work has personality because my clients have personality. The clients that I get, I keep. (Like Taylor and David - I've been photographing them since 2010. Perfect fit.)
Though it doesn't happen often (being honest, not braggy), there are clients I've talked to where we both know it just isn't the right combo. My vision for your photos might not match your vision for your photos. As my beautiful, wonderful boyfriend put it today, "Some people prefer different stains of wood. Doesn't mean one is bad and one is good, it just means people have different tastes." (We're really into woodwork as of late, so I think all our analogies are wood-based. It makes me giggle.)
So, if you're wondering if you should hire me, here's some thoughts. If you agree with these statements, we're probably going to be a good fit.
- I value photography, and I understand why it is necessary to spend quality money on a quality wedding photographer.
- I want my photos to represent the day as it is. If something funny happens, photograph it. If I'm crying, photograph it. If it's genuine, photograph it.
- I want a mix of artsy and traditional. Some photos should be more natural (like photos of me and my love), some photos need to be more posed (like family portraits).
- I am not really interested in having serious photos of the two of us on our wedding day. It's a happy day. I want to smile. (But maybe some sexy serious ones during our individual portraits...but if I laugh because it's awkward, get that shot, too.)
- I want a photographer who goes out of their way to understand me and my love, our dynamic and what's important to us. I want it to feel more like a friend is there at our wedding.
- I don't want photos that look like everyone else's. I want our photos to really reflect us as a couple.
- I want to have fun!! Photos can be awkward, but I want it to be a really easy, comfortable experience.
Honestly, that's pretty much it. If you agree with those statements, let's talk, because I think we'll be a stellar team.